- Each year approximately 25% of Americans suffer from allergies. (1)
- Allergy is the 5th leading cause of disease in the U.S. among all ages and a major cause of work absenteeism.(2)
- Direct costs accounted for nearly $6 billion ($5.7 billion in medications and $300 million in office visits). (2)
- Each year, allergies account for more than 17 million outpatient office visits, primarily in the spring and fall; seasonal allergies account for more than half of all allergy visits.(3)
- (1)Annual U.S. Prevalence Statistics for Chronic Diseases.
- (2)Chronic Conditions: A Challenge for the 21st Century,” National Academy on an Aging Society, 2000
- (3)CDC Fast Facts A-Z,” Vital Health Statistics, 2003